Convert Hostile Settlement to Militia Settlement

List of help topics and tutorials.
shroge

Convert Hostile Settlement to Militia Settlement

Postby shroge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

(Snippet from General Walkthrough)

Convert Hostile Settlement
Converting Hostile Settlements will become essential later in the game. Since out of the six random settlements, there are four hostile (gang/ambusher/cult/mob) and only two neutral (trade/farm), you might find yourself blocked in by hostile settlements. Missions also provide a mix of unique friendly and hostile settlements (especially in the virus/cult/mansintas storyline). In order to punch through, you'll need to convert them which basically involves clearing them out (defeating at least 11 hostiles in the settlement). If you are in a hostile settlement tile (the tile where the settlement icon is located), you can pull up the Tile Action Screen to see your progress in clearing out the hostiles. Once you have defeated at least 11 hostiles, then the Convert Hostile Settlement button will appear.

First I'll head to the Gang Settlement. Notice the very high ambush chance for entering the gangs territory. Most likely I'll be ambushed, so I will need to win the battle to advance into the territory. If I loose or retreat from an ambush, then I don't move tiles. Luckily, I made it to this first hostile tile undetected. Now the for the Gang Settlement tile. Well, it looks like I will definitely be fighting a battle here. The ambush chance is 100!
Image Image Image

I get ambushed, but win the battle so I advance into the Gang Settlement.
Image Image Image Image

Inside, I run into a gate guard. The default range is Long, and my handgun has pretty low stats for long range. So that means I'll have to try to change the range to close or medium if I'm going to cause any damage to him. I heal myself up to my max health, since moving around in battle will give home free shots at me. There is an option to Sneak Past and an option to Storm the Gate. If you sneak past successfully then that hostile is defeated. If you get caught, then he will get a free shot at you. I give it a try to sneak past and I'm successful! Every time that you sneak past successfully your stealth trait goes up.
Image Image Image Image Image

Next I start exploring from left to right. I defeat the three hostiles in the first house.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Range Change During Battle
Now for the second one. I see that the default range for this battle is long range. Since my handgun is only good for close/medium ranges that means I'll have to change range during the battle so that I can cause some damage. I refill my energy since moving around in battles costs energy. As you can see, when I change range the hostile gets a free counter-attack at me. It looks like this hostile is strongest at long range, so I'll change range to close range before I start attacking.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

I took some heavy damage, but now I'm ready to attack. Notice the his attack value is pretty low now (7). It's random as to whether the hostile will attempt to change range back to his preferred range. This time he doesn't attempt it and I win easily.
Image Image Image Image

Time to explore the house. I grab any items that I run across and defeat the hostiles inside.
Image Image Image

Militia Settlement
I clear out the other buildings as well and see that I have defeated enough hostiles in the Gang Settlement to convert it to a Militia Settlement. I exit to the map and bring up the Tile Action screen. I click the Convert Hostile Settlement to Militia Settlement button.
Image Image

Now it's a Militia Settlement. I explore it, talk to the Settlement Officer and he informs me that he'll pay for building Fortified Outposts near the settlement and that I have a free bed, storage locker and parking spot at my disposal if I want them. After walking around the complex, I see that everyone has missions and things for sale.
Image Image Image Image Image Image

I head to the Barracks Room and sleep in my free bed to restore my movement and energy. And I notice the storage locker that I'm free to use as well.
Image Image Image Image

I head over to the Motor Pool and notice the free parking spot that I can use to store a vehicle if I had one.
Image Image

After converting the settlement, this tiles all turn from hostile (red) to friendly (blue). That means I can create tile improvements and that the chance of getting ambushed in these tiles now dramatically decreased.
Image Image

Return to “Help / Tutorials”